Thread: iPhone Not Recognized

1. #1 iPhone Not Recognized 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    I'm running iTunes 9.0.2 on Windows XP Professional (32-bit). I use MediaMonkey as my default media player of choice, and I either use that to sync music to my iPhone (jailbroken 3.1.2, 2G) directly within the app, or I drag the songs into my iPhone in iTunes from the MediaMonkey window. Randomly, for over 2 weeks, my iPhone has stopped being recognized by my computer.

Everytime I plug it in, its seen by the computer as "Unknown Device". On top of this, I've had the pre-existing error with iTunes that the registry values for burning CDs is missing and that I should reinstall iTunes. I doubt this is relative to my problem though since it's isolated and my its been there since before this issue. Anyways, I've tried

- Manually installing the driver (USBAPPL.sys)
    - Uninstalling iTunes with Revo Uninstaller, deleting the iTunes folder in "My Music", and reinstalling
    - Stopping the Apple Mobile Device service and Starting it again
    - Downgrading iTunes after using my 2nd method

Nothing seems to work, and I cannot figure out what it could be. This is really, really pissing me off. Any ideas?

Oh, and I haven't installed any additional software that might have caused this. I don't feel like rolling back via System Restore since its been a while.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    Have you installed anything from Cydia that may screw it up?
    I've installed a couple of things that have stopped normal functions such as not being able to delete App Store apps. =/

I don't think so. Lately I've been using the Rock App because it's faster and it backs up your packages under a username so you can restore them. But I don't think I've added anything. Actually, I've enabled Advanced System Preferences through Winterboard, maybe I changed something? I'll double check, but I doubt there was anything related to my issue.

EDIT: Nothing.
    Last edited by Product F(RED); 12-20-2009 at 11:16 PM.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Jccage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    I don't think so. Lately I've been using the Rock App because it's faster and it backs up your packages under a username so you can restore them. But I don't think I've added anything. Actually, I've enabled Advanced System Preferences through Winterboard, maybe I changed something? I'll double check, but I doubt there was anything related to my issue.

EDIT: Nothing.
    I had this problem with a touch. 2 secs lemme find the guide i had...

You may eventually need to reinstal the firmware. but try these..

alright....

1.) reinstalled itunes and the ipod setup (several times)
    2.) tried to hold the menu + center button
    3.) tried to hold the play and center button

1. Tried Resetting the iPod (press and HOLD the Menu and Center buttons for up to ten seconds) WHILE the iPod is connected to the PC?

2. Using are USB port on the rear of the tower PC's tower? Front mounted USB ports often don't carry the same amount of "juice" as ones connected directly to the motherboard.

3. Have you checked to see that your PC has USB 2.0 support?

Open the Device Manager and expand the tree for the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Find the Enhanced USB Controller, right-click on it and Uninstall it. Reboot. Give Windows a few minutes to reinstall the device after rebooting. Connect iPod and cross your finger's.

Thats all i know.
    Last edited by Jccage; 12-21-2009 at 12:00 AM.
    Hacking Basics, And how to do it. Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by jccage View Post
    I had this problem with a touch. 2 secs lemme find the guide i had...

You may eventually need to reinstal the firmware. but try these..

alright....

1.) reinstalled itunes and the ipod setup (several times)
    2.) tried to hold the menu + center button
    3.) tried to hold the play and center button

1. Tried Resetting the iPod (press and HOLD the Menu and Center buttons for up to ten seconds) WHILE the iPod is connected to the PC?

2. Using are USB port on the rear of the tower PC's tower? Front mounted USB ports often don't carry the same amount of "juice" as ones connected directly to the motherboard.

3. Have you checked to see that your PC has USB 2.0 support?

Open the Device Manager and expand the tree for the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Find the Enhanced USB Controller, right-click on it and Uninstall it. Reboot. Give Windows a few minutes to reinstall the device after rebooting. Connect iPod and cross your finger's.

Thats all i know.
    Yes, well unfortunately neither an iPhone nor iTouch have physical Play, Menu, Rewind, and Fast Forward buttons.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Jccage's Avatar
    Yes, well unfortunately neither an iPhone nor iTouch have physical Play, Menu, Rewind, and Fast Forward buttons.
    Shit, sorry, just hold the top button and the home button at the same time til the logo appears.
    Hacking Basics, And how to do it. Click here.

I know how to restore it, and put it in recovery and DFU mode. The problem is that the driver isn't registering and I cannot choose it from the list when the popup window comes up because it shows up as "Unknown Device" rather than iPhone. My computer doesn't know what the hell it is is the issue.

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    I know how to restore it, and put it in recovery and DFU mode. The problem is that the driver isn't registering and I cannot choose it from the list when the popup window comes up because it shows up as "Unknown Device" rather than iPhone. My computer doesn't know what the hell it is is the issue.
    hmm, maybe an internal malfunction? are you having this problem if you aren't jailbroke?

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Geek9 View Post
    hmm, maybe an internal malfunction? are you having this problem if you aren't jailbroke?
    I'm not going to unjailbreak it. It happened randomly, I doubt I did anything to cause it, or at least knowingly. On the iPhone-side, everything is fine. I think it has something to do with the computer.

EDIT: No way. No fucking way. I can't believe it. It was actually the third-party wire I was using. I read it somewhere else and didn't believe it. Now it works with the stock Apple cable.
    Last edited by Product F(RED); 12-21-2009 at 01:31 AM.