Thread: OtherOS working in 3.21

1. #1 OtherOS working in 3.21 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Looks like Geohot is a man/wee lad of his word:

OtherOS Supported on "3.21" courtesy Geohot?

A few days ago, Geohot vowed ps3 owners not to upgrade to 3.21 and said he's working on a workaround that will allow you to continue to play games online as well as keep your Linux partition.

Known for his exploits on the iPhone Geohot has definitely had his fair share of attention on the internet & this new development is sure to attract more. He posted a video on youtube demoing his custom 3.21 firmware hack while still having install OtherOS feature available in system settings. No release date for now but expect another announcement soon.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9wLWQ4-uA[/YOUTUBE]

And here's what he had to say about it himself:

Here is a video demoing my "custom firmware". I would have added something showing off the new features of 3.21, but oh wait, there aren't any.
    This can be installed without having to open up your PS3, just by restoring a custom generated PUP file, but only from 3.15 or previous. It's possible this CFW will also work on the slim to actually *enable* OtherOS; I'll know when my infectus gets here.
    No release date yet, use the proxy hack to play online with 3.15
    Note to the people who removed OtherOS, you are potentially turning 100000+ legit users into "hackers."

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Note to the people who removed OtherOS, you are potentially turning 100000+ legit users into "hackers."
    Does he think everyone who visits his blog wants to hack their ps3? Thats a bit presumptuous. I started following more closely when he got the ball rolling just out of curiosity, i have no plan to hack my ps3 any time soon.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Does he think everyone who visits his blog wants to hack their ps3?
    Yes? Because that's what his blog is about. And this isn't even hacking. This is just maintaining features. He's not adding or modifying anything.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    canada wtf man? you started taking the "no common sense" road of life?

anyone who goes to a hacking site want to hack. take pspmod for example.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xavis75211 View Post
    canada wtf man? you started taking the "no common sense" road of life?

Does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by xavis75211 View Post
    I visit Hack-a-Day about once a week to catch up on all the cool projects people have thrown together. I have no desire to build a synthesizer out of an Atari 2600, but i find it very entertaining to read about someone else doing it. I'm not gong to build an automated golf ball gun, and HDD rotary sander, or a CNC plotter, but i thoroughly enjoy reading about people who do.

Sure i've hacked my psp (who hasnt at this point), but i also keep up on 360 hacking news and i dont even own a 360, i keep tabs on what is happening on the Wii though i havent touched mine in months (no penis jokes please)...

Some people like knowledge simply to expand their understanding of the world. I cant put my mind into strict utilitarian mode.
    Very funny....not.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Does he think everyone who visits his blog wants to hack their ps3? Thats a bit presumptuous. I started following more closely when he got the ball rolling just out of curiosity, i have no plan to hack my ps3 any time soon.
    Uhh. Here's your answer guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Geohot
    First off, I want to apologize to all the people who use Linux on their PS3. Before releasing, I weighed the pros and cons, and considered the possibility of an impact on OtherOS support. My logic was this. OtherOS support had already been removed from the Slim(not for technical reasons; I believe it only existed in the first place to promote the Cell for IBM) The builders had apparently no intention of including it in future products. So for the purposes of openness why not release? Not like anything else has(or probably will be) done on the PS3.

Now you go and remove a feature that people expected to be included with the expensive device they purchased, citing "security concerns". What security concerns? It's not like the exploit can be run even close to without the users knowledge. You have to open the fucking thing up. How could this harm users? Your blog post doesn't list positive reasons for upgrading like I think most users expect. Instead it lists things you will lose if you don't upgrade. Seriously?

The PlayStation 3 is the only product I know that loses features throughout it's life cycle. Software PS2 emulation, SACD playback, and OtherOS support are all just software switches you can flip. It's unbelievable you would go and flip one, not just on new boxes you are shipping, but on tens of millions already in the field.

Again I'm sorry users. Sony, I expected more from you.