Thread: Jailbreaking now legal in U.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jailbreaking now legal in U.S. 
    Retired PSP Elite Hacker fubar42o's Avatar
    I don't have an iPhone and never have, but I am sure this will be interesting to alot of other ppl on this forum:

AppleInsider | US government legalizes iPhone 'jailbreaking,' unlocking

"don't fucking ask me. i don't know..."

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Fuck yeah! Raising hell all over!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    It wasn't illegal in the first place.

Well this shoots down any pending lawsuits over the matter.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Skud_Bio's Avatar
    Oh Im sorry, I thought I could do whatever the flying fuck I want with what I owned already.... America love it or get shot for treason right.
    .-=+SKUDBIO=+-.

SKUDALICIOUS BABY!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    wow, i never had a damn clue something so petty and pointless was illegal!! if i own the damn thing and can make it possible to run my own "3rd party" apps, why/how is that illegal??

what's even more pointless on it are these questions:

1. it's my personally bought electronic device to be made to my likings and needs, when did it become illegal to do what i wish my own petty property? not like you're pirating movies or other copyright protected things...it's free apps for god sake.

2. if it was in fact illegal, why was T-Mobile never prosecuted for accepting the jail broken, and in some cases stolen iphones and then jail broken, to be registered to their cell phone services?

you can also blame Microsoft for this...i know with my Voyager from Verizon that if you steal it or i report it lost or stolen that they in fact send out a signal that makes the phone useless and dead! so why make an expensive OS based phone like iphone so damn easy for any asshole to pick it up at a bar and take it home, jail break it and take it to T-Mobile and bam, now it's someone else's phone at the cost of registration and monthly billing.
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by goku2778 View Post
    wow, i never had a damn clue something so petty and pointless was illegal!! if i own the damn thing and can make it possible to run my own "3rd party" apps, why/how is that illegal??

what's even more pointless on it are these questions:

1. it's my personally bought electronic device to be made to my likings and needs, when did it become illegal to do what i wish my own petty property? not like you're pirating movies or other copyright protected things...it's free apps for god sake.

2. if it was in fact illegal, why was T-Mobile never prosecuted for accepting the jail broken, and in some cases stolen iphones and then jail broken, to be registered to their cell phone services?

you can also blame Microsoft for this...i know with my Voyager from Verizon that if you steal it or i report it lost or stolen that they in fact send out a signal that makes the phone useless and dead! so why make an expensive OS based phone like iphone so damn easy for any asshole to pick it up at a bar and take it home, jail break it and take it to T-Mobile and bam, now it's someone else's phone at the cost of registration and monthly billing.

Its not the fact of the actual hacking.

1. Apple and AT&T have an agreement. They both want your money, so it would be in the best interest of of both companies if the service plan were from the same carrier. If you want an iPhone you have to go with AT&T. How fair is it to them that their competitor gets to use its exclusive phones that it paid billions of dollars to buy service rights for. Its not really fair to the consumer, but thats the way life is. Exclusivity drives competition, and look what we have now. Android Phones.

2. Another reason why Apple would have a vested interest in stopping jailbreaking is the pirating of App Store Apps. This is one thing that Apple keeps losing the battle on. Even without the pirating of the App Store, Apple is losing out on potential App buyers when there is a free option of the same app available whether its cracked or not.

Jailbreaking has never been illegal, just like hacking PSP's. The main issue here is money, and really I don't blame them for rolling out updates to try to stop it. Will it stop me from having my iTouch jailbroken? No.
    Last edited by bigbossVII; 07-27-2010 at 10:30 AM.

valid points...again, i blame Microsoft for making so damn easy to break it and let anyone do what they wish with it...

they're on OS 4 now, you can't fix that problem?? i work in NYC, anyone want an iphone for 100$ cash??? people lose them all the time and in most cases, the finders (usually bar workers) will take them and sell them for an easy 100$ cash, you take it home and google it and now you have an iphone.

so if i were AT&T and i payed "billions" for the exclusive carrier of this phone, i'd be flipping on Microsoft for failing to protect my contracted property.

so again, Microsoft is the blame for it...but all they see are $$, they don't even offer insurance on the fucking things!! what's that say right there, that they don't care about protecting the clients, carriers or anyone else for that matter except knowing that you'll invest more money when it's lost/stolen or even broken...that's why i own not 1 piece of their equipment, only my pc runs their software, that's it.

edit...oh yeah, and with my pc...they fucked that up too when they released that fucked up update and my pc was looping over and over and over!! i had to fix it with my boot disc and system restore, then a week later i see computers all over the place got screwed up as well...
    Last edited by goku2778; 07-27-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    [CENTER]

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Skud_Bio's Avatar
    I can blame M$ for everything wrong with this world with a reasonable argument. But seriously though, are running XP Goku, cuz I just tried to use mine to run Rains..and as it booted up it went and installed an update(I know damnwell I set it not to update SH!T) Now its fucked up so bad, I cant even get it to login, sumthins overloading the processor.

EDIT: 32 sec boottime to 5 mins.
    .-=+SKUDBIO=+-.

SKUDALICIOUS BABY!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    goku, any phone/device that uses user installable firmware/OS can be formatted, reinstalled and hacktivated in some sort of way. iPhone just happens to be more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Skud_Bio View Post
    I can blame M$ for everything wrong with this world with a reasonable argument. But seriously though, are running XP Goku, cuz I just tried to use mine to run Rains..and as it booted up it went and installed an update(I know damnwell I set it not to update SH!T) Now its fucked up so bad, I cant even get it to login, sumthins overloading the processor.

EDIT: 32 sec boottime to 5 mins.
    damn, see what i mean??? i use Vista at home, XP at work but i never had that happen to me...got the boot disc??? or try safe mode and system restore it.

@ kaikz...yeah i know, but they can try to better protect their investors and by not offering insurance options is a douche move, to me it just proves they don't care for shit what you spent, just spend more please.

i actually contradicted myself earlier, i have a 360...but i never use it anymore cause the ps3 just kills it in every way for me...i only keep for a few games that ps3 doesn't have support for.
    [CENTER]

Senior Asshole PSP Elite Hacker cowboycalstar's Avatar
    but goku...

you can seriously get me an iphone for $100?

L
    Does this mean that Charles Manson can leave San Quentin?????

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    In addition to jailbreaking, other exemptions announced Monday would:

• allow owners of used cell phones to break access controls on their phones in order to switch wireless carriers.

• allow people to break technical protections on video games to investigate or correct security flaws.

• allow college professors, film students, documentary filmmakers and producers of noncommercial videos to break copy-protection measures on DVDs so they can embed clips for educational purposes, criticism or commentary.

• allow computer owners to bypass the need for external security devices called dongles if the dongle no longer works and cannot be replaced.

• allow blind people to break locks on electronic books so that they can use them with read-aloud software and similar aides.

...For those of you who haven't been paying attention to US laws passed during the Bush administration, this effectively takes out half of the DMCA -
    These are exemptions that people have been pushing for since the law was first passed. Everything on the list is important, but there are 2 major implications for the majority of us here; 1 - NO MORE LOCKING OF CEL-PHONES, period. A company may still do it, but they must now allow you to unlock it if you wish. 2 - Game security flaws...This means that DAX and others can now legally work on exploits and new CFW's without fear of legal reproach (piracy aside, but that's an issue for another day).

...In short, FUCK IPHONES...Their user base may have finally got the law changed, but the implications range FAR beyond them.
    If you see me running, try to keep up.

This law, while insignificant by itself, opens up huge potential in the future. Next we may see laws passed banning companies from inhibiting hacking. Right now apple could release an update that breaks all jailbreaking, but the govt could keep apple from doing that. Then they could force Sony/MS/Nintendo to open up their platforms for development. Easy homebrew? Hellz yeah.
    Very funny....not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast