Thread: The pros and cons of owning a external hard drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The pros and cons of owning a external hard drive 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP GeekyHuck's Avatar
    I have plans to get one but if there's something wrong, as like, dead in a few months or maintenance, please post.

Have fun, NO FLAMES!!
    Expecting 2010 and 11. Even 12!!

Weeboo games:
    Kamen Rider Climax Heroes OZ 12/2010
    Gakuen Hetalia Unknown Release date, damnit.
    Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Roman Tan Saisen Spring 2011
    Dissidia 012

All American games:
    God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I have one just for my movies and music... i love it and I can't live without..maybe its because I have a 128 gb SSD drive and I need more storage obviously.. but yeah get Western Digital. #1 in harddrives right now. Thats just my honest opinion though. :P
    Current FW: 5.50 Gen D2 PSP Slim 2000

Ps3 Owner
    Xbox 360 Owner (Red ring'd)

PM Me for my PSN ID-

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    I have a 500gb one I back up to every couple of months.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I have an external for my wii but nothing else, i dont need to take large amounts of data around with me. My flash drives work well enough for that. If i need to take more than 4gb of data i'll just burn some dvds because it probably important enough to keep a hard copy.
    Very funny....not.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    ive been an EHD owner for a long time, and i usually use them to store media that will be seperate from my operating system. i often listen to my music off an external and the average life span of a drive is in the area of 4yrs, if you use it everyday.

word of advice if you plan to go with this method: buy two. one for storage and useage (music, video, etc) and the other to keep as a mirror of the main drive. its a good backup plan that i try to use as often as i can. in fact, im in the market now for a pair of new drives because i think my current one is failing.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    ive been an EHD owner for a long time, and i usually use them to store media that will be seperate from my operating system. i often listen to my music off an external and the average life span of a drive is in the area of 4yrs, if you use it everyday.

word of advice if you plan to go with this method: buy two. one for storage and useage (music, video, etc) and the other to keep as a mirror of the main drive. its a good backup plan that i try to use as often as i can. in fact, im in the market now for a pair of new drives because i think my current one is failing.
    4 years thats it?
    My dad has one (Mind you its a massive brick harddrive) and he's had it for well over 9 years i'd say...
    mine is getting to about 5 years and I don't see any downfalls

What company's harddrives are around 4 years span?
    Current FW: 5.50 Gen D2 PSP Slim 2000

Ps3 Owner
    Xbox 360 Owner (Red ring'd)

PM Me for my PSN ID-

depends how often you use it and how long its turned on too.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Administrator PSP Elite Hacker admin's Avatar
    i dont think u will have any problems with an external hard-drive, I personally have about 4 external and dont have any problems. all of my external drives are powered by usb so i dont need an extra power connector, I would recommend getting one like this
    PSPMOD Administrator : Useful Links Below

PSPMOD Guides : Downloads : ChatRoom : Free PSP Downloads

If you are getting 4 years you are doing something wrong, Julie. I have drives i regularly use that are 7-8 years old at least.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    What kind of thread is this? There are no cons other than the money you put down for one.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    mine's been plugged in and running for over 5 years now...never gave me an issue 1 time, holds all my medias and program file backups, stream my vids to my ps3 as well off of it.

like Fred said too, no cons to them really it's all pros. also you can get 1tb these days for less the 90$ if you shop around and read circulars.
    [CENTER]

i said AVERAGE. the average life expectancy of a hard drive is between 4 and 6 years. then they start having issues. i dont deny that they last longer but i tend to be protective of my data and will replace the drive at the first sign of potential failure. sure, drives last much longer, but i dont like to risk running mine into the ground when my data is on the line. my drive history:

-hard drive in my dell laptop lasted 6 or 7 years before it stopped working
    - former desktop drive turned external from my old gaming system only recently started showing signs of failure, that ones nearly 9 old. still have it, still works, but i dont trust putting anything important on it.
    - current external (Fantom) is roughly 5yrs old and it might be showing the early signs of potential failure. might last a long time, but im in the market now for a replacement... just incase.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Not to be a dick, but where do you get that from? The half-life of an hdd magnet is about 5 years, and a drive can last a long time with the strength lower than 50%. That doesnt account for motor failure of course.
    Personally, i've only had one hdd die on my and that was because i dropped it while taking it out of my case. Seagate (ugh, seagate) replaced it for me because it was still in warranty
    Very funny....not.

they can keep working for a very long time, but again, i dont trust my data on them once i start getting platter errors and such. after that, i simply wont trust it when my important information and swap it out as soon as possible.

getting back on topic, i think the only con to owning an external hard drive is it could get stolen. besides that, its all pros
    R.I.P Zoidberg

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    price is a con, so is the possibility of theft, but use truecrypt and it will be useless to the thief

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast