Thread: How can neighbors use my wifi connection?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    How the hell are my neighbors able to connect to my wireless network?! I have signal problems inside the house, so how can someone in a neighboring house get a signal?! I kept wondering where the hell my bandwidth was going, then I discovered they were using my router! :eek: I'm not even sure which neighbors were using my connection, but it must have been someone in a nearby house.
    I tried to connect to their router and couldn't get a signal. They weren't using encryption either. I had to encrypt my network to keep them off. The sad thing is, I doubt they even knew they were using someone else's router instead of their own.

2. #2 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    oh thats easy. you just do a scan for routers on your computer and click the "connect" button, no permission from the router owner is needed. McDonalds sometimes has this and i hook up to thiers with my PSP all the time.

3. #3 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    Range/distance is the issue. I can't connect to the router from the other side of this house, yet these neighbors were able to connect to my router from a completely different house.

4. #4 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    maybe the antenna thing they have installed in the back of thier computer has a better range?

5. #5 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    Banned PSP Mad Hacker
    I just disable mines, that way I'm the only one using my connection through a regular line.

6. #6 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    Since your Wi-Fi connection can become an Hot spot to some users they can use your service...My neigbors use mine as an hot spot but I dont care...I just have them pay for it....MWHAHAAHAHAH.

This is kinda reminecint to Call for Help...And I'm Leo Laporte!!!

7. #7 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    I knew it was possible for someone else to use it, I just didn't think it would really happen because I can barely get a connection from places in my own house. :eyepop:

8. #8 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    How strong is your connection?Is it A or C
    ?

9. #9 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    802.11b
    I have a newer 802.11g router too, which is supposed to be faster, but sadly that means the range isn't as good. G routers seem to sacrifice range for speed... which kinda defeats the purpose of wifi. I'm not saying speed is a bad thing... but wifi should have a good range or it's a bit pointless.

10. #10 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    grr if u dont like ur router please donate to the Get seth to play killzone online! found. for every router donation u get a complamentry.. erm taco?

11. #11 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I'm convinced. Ughh nm I work at a burrito joint. I am a bit tired of mexican food now.

12. #12 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    <div class='quotetop'>(GrayFox)</div><div class='quotemain'>802.11b
    I have a newer 802.11g router too, which is supposed to be faster, but sadly that means the range isn't as good. G routers seem to sacrifice range for speed... which kinda defeats the purpose of wifi. I'm not saying speed is a bad thing... but wifi should have a good range or it's a bit pointless.</div>

That is one of the fastest router areound...Can you send me what type it is?

But here is a C/Net review of the router I have.

"Belkin Wireless Pre-N router review.

Wireless networking just got better. The Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router is the first on the market to include a revolutionary new technology called MIMO. MIMO, which stands for multiple input/multiple output, uses a single channel for multiple data streams, promising to greatly enhance both the range and the throughput of wireless networking gear based on a new specification called 802.11n. But here's the catch: the 802.11n spec won't be finalized until sometime in 2006, hence the router's Pre-N appellation. Belkin's router is compatible with standard 802.11g and 802.11b gear for now, but in order for you to reap the router's full performance benefits, you'll need to use it in combination with Belkin's Pre-N PC Card adapter. Used together, the router and the PC Card adapter had both the best range and the fastest throughput we've seen to date. The router is also less susceptible to interference, and it creates less interference for neighboring networks than do channel-bonding products that use the Atheros chipset, such as the D-Link DI-624 and the Netgear WGT624. If you're shopping for a router that will give you the largest coverage area and you don't mind paying a little extra, look no further. "

It might have the same power as yours but it is still the best around.....It got an 8.4,The highest from this year.

13. #13 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    You have a pre-N router?! I hate you! just kidding... but really, how much was it? I should get one sometime. The 802.11g router I have (but don't use) is a Belkin. The b router I'm using is an iBlitzz router. My Belkin is the one you're saying is one of the fastest, right?
    I think the g router would be compatible with my Nintendo DS, but I just can't use it because my laptop will lose its internet connection constantly. :(

And tell me if I'm right about this...
    If I use my old 802.11b PC card with a pre-n router, I can still get the range advantage of 802.11n, just not the speed advantage (since the signal is sent by the router), right?

14. #14 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    <div class='quotetop'>(GrayFox)</div><div class='quotemain'>You have a pre-N router?! I hate you! just kidding... but really, how much was it? I should get one sometime. The 802.11g router I have (but don't use) is a Belkin. The b router I'm using is an iBlitzz router. My Belkin is the one you're saying is one of the fastest, right?
    I think the g router would be compatible with my Nintendo DS, but I just can't use it because my laptop will lose its internet connection constantly. :(

And tell me if I'm right about this...
    If I use my old 802.11b PC card with a pre-n router, I can still get the range advantage of 802.11n, just not the speed advantage (since the signal is sent by the router), right?</div>

Yes you can still get the range of 802.11n if you use the pc card.

My Pre-N router cost around $160,But I had to buy it at Curcuit City and not Best Buy .

The IBlitzz is an really ok router....It is'nt the most advanced but it still is one of the better Routers.

15. #15 How can neighbors use my wifi connection?! 
    Yeah, it's not bad. I just wish it was compatible with my DS. I need to get the Nintendo Wifi adapter sometime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast